30 October 2005

The Power of a Good Weekend

Life is pretty fucking good. It's sort of sad to admit that I'm still somewhat surprised when I actually feel happy. Guess it's the Zoloft finally kicking in. Or maybe it's just that instinct that being bitter and cynical is cooler and funnier than being happy about stuff.

I just had a really good weekend. First of all, getting to spend some or all of your time with a partner who you really love and who really gets you and who mainly wants for you to be happy is just really cool. My wife rocks, and coming home on Friday night and knowing that the whole weekend is ahead of you, well nothing beats that. So then even though yesterday was miserable, cold and rainy and just a reminder that fall is going to turn into winter WAY too quickly, we made it a really great day by a) sleeping in till noon, covered in dogs, b) going to breakfast at Denny's even though it was 2PM (Moons Over My Hammy is the best), and c) spending the afternoon shopping at Lowe's and Target (two of my favorite places to blow a paycheck). Even though I had to go to work at 10PM to run our end-of-month reports, the night wasn't lost, and we got to watch The Adam Corolla Project on Tivo (my favorite new show). Got home earlier than expected, got an extra hour of sleep thanks to stupid daylight savings. Today was a nearly perfect fall day, and I went to play golf for the first time in 3 weeks, and ended up shooting my best round of the year (100 for the record, not quite ready to go pro). I credit the weather, practice last week, and probably the Zoloft too. And then on the ride home, I threw in a CD I'd burned from iTunes recently, some of my favorite new stuff, and just cranked it the entire way home. It's just true that nothing gets the blood flowing like driving fast with great music blasting.


So that's why I feel good tonight. Plus whenever I come home, my schnauzer Lucy sings me a song. If you've never heard schnauzer song, you haven't lived.

Now that I've fulfilled the name of my blog by blathering on for a while about nothing, I'll add a few more random things. Part of my enjoyable weekends was looking at some very funny chick blogs with the wife, and I saw that people seem to like posting those sort of personal polls that you used to get in email all the time. Seems like a good way to solicit comments. Plus, I felt compelled to share some random shit, so here goes, in no particular order.

10 Great Songs I Downloaded from iTunes that You Should Listen To
Everybody's Changing - Keane
Run - Snow Patrol
Perfect Situation - Weezer
Amsterdam - Guster
Take a Picture - Filter
Dakota - Stereophonics
Feed the Tree - Belly
Pictures of You - The Cure
High and Dry - Radiohead
Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode

Watch The Adam Carolla Project, if you even think you might find it funny. He's hilarious when he's just being himself, but even better is the bunch of idiots he's got working with him on this show. Watching regular people who are actually funny is funnier than watching actors trying to be funny.

If you like U2 even a little bit, and you have a chance to buy tickets to one of their remaining shows, GO! I went to Boston in October, and I'm going again in December, and I CANNOT WAIT! Admittedly, I've been a fan for almost 20 years, and I love everything they do, but even if you're not a huge fan, you cannot help but be swept away by the emotion of it. Not only can I not wait to see them again, but I can't wait for the wife to see them this time (went with buddy David last time). I mean, they're just amazing, and being part of an audience of 20,000 people singing along is almost overwhelming.

Oh, my friend David and I were talking about his new girlfriend while playing golf today, and he mentioned that she was worried about her parents and whether they'd approve. I'm thinking it's because she's newly divorced and he's not quite divorced, or something like that. So I ask him why, and he says "Duh, color, dude". And I'm like, you're fucking kidding me. By the way, he happens to be black (or more mocha than anything, Cape Verdean really), but the idea that anybody even thinks of that, at least in Rhode Island, never even occurred to me. I guess I just need to give people more benefit of the doubt when it comes to their capacity to be racist and ignorant. Not that her parents necessarily are, but apparently this comes up a lot for my friend, which in and of itself points out a problem.

Okay, so here's my first shot at some interactivity. If it sucks, well, then just don't answer. I seriously doubt this has any psychological insight.

Copy the questions and paste with answers into your comments
1. What's the last thing you saw in the news that pissed you off?
2. What one year would you choose for an in-depth "I Love the 80s" episode and what would you definitely want to see?
3. What band or singer do you love that you think most people have never heard of?
4. What song would you least like to admit to singing along with on the car radio?
5. What makes you happiest in the course of a normal day?

Thanks for hanging in there. BTW, I'm planning to start pimping my wife's blog. She loves a whole bunch of chick blogs, and I think she deserves to be part of that circle. So if you're part of that group, or know anyone in there, you should help me get her blog linked up (saintfranny.blogspot.com). Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 13 November, 2005 11:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copy the questions and paste with answers into your comments
1. What's the last thing you saw in the news that pissed you off? Those idiots who ignored the warnings in LA and MS. It makes me totally sick to think they are getting away with that. They should all be fired and serve time in prison in a nice big prison down south.
2. What one year would you choose for an in-depth "I Love the 80s" episode and what would you definitely want to see? 1985 was my best year so I'd like to review it.
3. What band or singer do you love that you think most people have never heard of? Janis Ian.
4. What song would you least like to admit to singing along with on the car radio? "Feel like a Woman."
5. What makes you happiest in the course of a normal day? My daily group hug from my family which includes the dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home