19 October 2008

Sunday Blather

...fueled by post-yardwork delirium and a couple of Leinenkugel Oktoberfests, here's some stuff that was rattling around in my head over the course of this nearly perfect autumn weekend.


  • I'm totally gay for fall foliage. I'm like that guy Josh Brolin played on the SNL skit last night, just can't get enough of the golds and reds and oranges. It's gone so quickly, glad I actually got a chance to see some this year.
  • Speaking of SNL, I have to for once (and only once) say something decent about Sarah Palin. She didn't suck last night, and she showed at least a little ability to laugh at herself. The skits they did around her were pretty funny, although she didn't really have to do much. Amy's rap during Weekend Update was brilliant, and any excuse to have Tina on the show more is fine by me. This show should prove to be the highlight of Palin's career, since after November 4th, you'll never hear from her again.
  • My wife had the brilliant idea of capping off our perfect fall Saturday yesterday (golf in the morning, good workout midday, drive in the country with the dogs in the afternoon) by picking up a pizza, a REAL pizza (her words) at a local pizzeria. It reminded me that I really need to stop being so damn lazy and ordering pizza for delivery from chains when we get a hankering and support my local pizza places. They are one of my favorite carryovers from my childhood, and I would feel really bad to see their wood-paneled interiors go dark for lack of business.
  • Trixie is mad at me right now because I put her orange sweatshirt on her (she looks like a punkin!), but she was sitting there shivering all afternoon. I refuse to feel bad about it.


I got to listen to a bunch of my favorite songs on my iPod today while finally finishing the bluestone path in our backyard, and decided to share one of the best of the best.

But before I do that, let me say something. Listening to the songs I post here is not optional. If you read my blog, you MUST listen to the songs. It's a rule--my blog, my rules. I choose the songs I post very carefully, selecting songs that I think ALL of you might like if you give them a chance, songs that you probably would never otherwise hear and probably wouldn't try without my personal recommendation, but great songs nonetheless. So set aside your pre-conceived notions of what you like and don't like and give it a try (don't worry, you won't see any Tool or anything scary). Stop making that face Mom.

Today's song is "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire, a very groovy band/collective from Canada who likes to have 20 people on stage when the play, often including a hurdy-gurdy player (how many bands do you know with a hurdy-gurdy). This song was the song U2 played over the PA right before taking the stage on their 2005 tour, so it always gets me pumped up to hear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home