09 January 2006

"I'm Proud to be a Roy"

It was like a little Christmas for me all over again tonight. My years of hoping and wishing that someone on a reality show would be named "Roy" (see here for background) have finally paid off. Tonight's "Wife Swap" featured the Roy family, a bunch of self-proclaimed "mountain rednecks" from the hill country of California. They were pretty rude and crude, farting and belching enough to make even me a little queasy. But hearing the narrator say "and back at the Roy house" was enough to make me giggle over and over. He even called the kids the "Roy Boys". But the best part, the penultimate, was when the 15-year-old Roy Boy had his little growing-up moment and said "I'm proud to be a Roy". I almost choked.

While I'm mentioning funny names, I have to say "Bob Loblaw". Say it with me. For the vast majority of humanity who have refused to watch "Arrested Development" (even thought it's the funniest new show in years), that's the name of Scott Baio's character, their lawyer. It's so silly, yet you can't say the name without laughing. They upped the ante on a recent episode when he talked about working on his website, "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog". It's a real shame that show is getting cancelled by Fox, but we're hopeful it'll get picked up by Showtime. The wife and I crack each other up just by saying "Bob Loblaw" to each other.

So my self-created long weekend comes to an end. Definitely a good idea. This whole new thing of us sleeping till noon every day certainly cuts into weekend time, but there really just isn't any better feeling than staying up as late as you feel like and knowing you don't have to go anywhere in the morning. Of course, it would be ever BETTER if one of us didn't have to wake up by 6:30 to feed the dogs, but it's a small price to pay. That's all the beagle's fault--the other two would let us sleep in, but she won't have it. So I get one more short week of work, and then three full weeks before we go to NYC in February. I'm surprisingly okay that the wife is taking us to see Ricky Martin in concert. For one thing, it's at Radio City Music Hall, which I've never been to, so that's cool. For two, he does put on a good show from what I've seen. For three, it's New York, how can you go wrong? We're staying at the Warwick again, since we've been burned by trying other hotels, and we're going to pick out a good restaurant in advance this time.

Ugh. I hate when my post winds down with a whimper rather than a bang. I was so excited to post about the Roys, but I really had nothing after that. Oh well, almost time for Jon Stewart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home