01 December 2005

Who knew you could make AIDS jokes?

Certainly not me. Okay, at least not funny ones. But my man Jon Stewart pulled it off. (Incidentally, I think "my man Jon Stewart" may be one of the whitest phrases I could say.) He was in rare form tonight--made me laugh hard enough to make my chest hurt, or maybe that's just the pizza. When Jon (and the writers) are on top of their game, that first segment of the show is the best seven minutes you'll see on TV all week. When he's on a roll, and then that commercial comes, it's such a letdown. Tonight he managed to squeeze in a couple of funny jokes about World AIDS Day (I swear), a couple shots at W (ugh--the idiot had the nerve to talk about abstinence being a key strategy to combatting AIDS), and a wicked pointed shot at the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. They showed the lucky kids who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina who got to help light the tree, and pointed out the fact that on top of the tree was a 5500-pound star covered in 25,000 Swarovski crystals. One can only guess how many of those kids could be fed, clothed and housed from the cost of that star.

So, since it's past my bedtime, the other thing I wanted to mention was how much I'm looking forward to receiving the bumper stickers we ordered last night. They're "Worst President Ever" stickers, with the "W" in Worst looking like the W in the campaign stickers. It's true, it's the perfect combination of comic-geek humor and a snarky shot at our dumbass president. I can't to see if my bosses (Republicans all) notice it and comment on it. I sort of enjoy being the hippie liberal in the office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home