03 September 2008

Show Us You Really Care

You all suck. Not a single comment all week. Lame. But I blather on.

I'm a couple days late, but I still had to vent. The silly political posturing surrounding Hurricane Gustav ruffled my feathers a little. What was most annoying was how everyone, my guys Barack and Joe included, felt compelled to tell the media that they were taking a break from campaigning to "monitor the events in Louisiana". How fucking lame. None of those people can actually do anything to help, even the President if he wanted to, certainly not people who hold no actual power (yet). But because our media is so asinine and trivial and we as a people are so frivolous and judgmental, we can't just recognize that life goes on and that everyone is just going to go back to doing what they were doing after they feel they've wait an appropriate amount of time.

And it's not like they were actually waiting out of respect, they just wanted to make sure the city didn't drown again while they were out kissing babies. As soon as the coast is clear, they're right back out there humping their lame speeches. The Republicans only barely pretended to give a shit, cancelling the first day's speeches (which suck anyway) and doing a little telethon.

You didn't see Jerry Lewis cancelling his telethon because of a storm, did you? He knows his kids are going to have muscular dystrophy whether New Orleans is underwater or not, and the only thing waiting is going to do is screw them. I recall reading how a lot of charities were really pissed back when the big tsunami hit in Indonesia because all of a sudden people were donating money there while they'd been ignoring the poor and hungry right in their own backyard for years. We're such sheep, so easily swayed by what the news tells us we should care about.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for those people who had to evacuate Nawlins again, and what happened AFTER Katrina was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. It DID prove that a vast majority of the country wants to pretend that we don't have millions of poor people who are one bad storm away from being homeless and living in your Comfort Inns on your tax dollars. But to blatantly stand there and posture when the next big storm comes, to do everything but come right out and say "we don't want to look stupid like the last time", well, it just pisses me off. I guess I realize they can't be any other way but I wish they could.

I bet you're surprised I'm not railing about how ridiculous this Sarah Palin thing is, aren't you? Don't worry, I'm just preparing my thoughts, and after I see her speech tonight, I'll let loose with the white hot fury of a thousand suns. If even one woman votes for McCain simply because he's now got a pair of boobs on the ticket, it's too many.

1 Comments:

At 03 September, 2008 21:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama is at his best when he deals with problems in real terms. Unfortunately, as the election closes in and more people have more at stake with his victory he eschews what makes him different and complies with what raised all that cash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home