02 September 2005

Still angry

I guess it's good to post frequently, so maybe that's the one good thing about how pissed off I'm getting watching things get worse and worse. Just spent a little while talking with a couple of my employees about this, and they feel the same way I do. There's a little tiny bit of comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in my outrage, but that doesn't really matter.

How can everyone who sees this know what needs to be done, and the people who CAN do something are not? What happened to mobilizing all the resources of our mighty country to help its citizens? Are they really that afraid of crowds of black people? Do they just not give a shit?

And how DARE these officials try to politicize this? Ted Koppel ripped into the head of FEMA for the failures, and that jackass had the nerve to try to pin the blame on others. Why is it so hard to shrug off the blame, to even say that it's pointless to point fingers, that the priority is to fix the situation NOW? Have we become so defensive and petty that we can't even face a catastrophe like this without trying to pin blame on the other party? Sure, I'm partisan and I'd love to make this into "their" fault, but what does that accomplish?

I feel powerless, more so than in other situations. I feel like we've all let down our fellow citizens and that even if a majority of us think it should have been different, there's little we can do to fix it. As I grow older and see more of the real world and business and bureaucracy, I realize that even those people with a great deal of responsibility are at best fallible, and at worst incompetent. And dealing with incompetence when you're selling crap or doing some sort of business is one thing, but when it involves people's lives, it becomes really scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home